"NPM TIP OF THE DAY"
9/25 Tip of the Day - Chemical hazards
When there is concern about potential exposure to a chemical or other airborne hazard, local officials may advise you to "shelter-in-place" and "seal the room." If you believe the air may be badly contaminated or if you are instructed by local officials, follow the instructions below to create a temporary barrier between you and the contaminated air outside.
To shelter-in-place and seal the room:
- Close and lock all windows and exterior doors.
- Turn off all fans, heating and air conditioning systems.
- Close the fireplace damper.
- Get your disaster supplies kit and turn on your battery-powered radio.
- Go to an interior room that is above ground level and without windows, if possible. In the case of a chemical threat, an above-ground location is preferable because some chemicals are heavier than air and may seep into basements even if the windows are closed
- If directed by local authorities on the radio, use duct tape to seal all cracks around the door and any vents into the room. Tape plastic sheeting, such as heavy-duty plastic garbage bags, over any windows.
- Listen to your radio or television for further instructions. Local officials will tell you when you can leave the room in which you are sheltering, or they may call for evacuation in specific areas at greatest risk in your community.
This is where you can come to find the latest information on Amateur Radio (also known as "Ham Radio") related activities and events in El Paso, Texas and the surrounding area.
All Ham Radio clubs and organizations in the area are welcome (and encouraged) to provide information to this site and keep it up to date.
New information is continually being added, so check back regularly.
And don't forget to support your local clubs!
El Paso Ham Radio phone line – (915) 239-5128
Please e-mail any comments, changes, corrections, additions, or updates to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also phone in questions, changes, corrections, additions, or updates to (915) 247-8426 (this is Google voice-mail only). Please leave a call back number so we can get back to you.