"TIP OF THE DAY"
EVACUATING YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY
There may be conditions under which you will decide to get away or there may be situations when you are ordered to leave. Follow these guidelines for evacuation:
- Plan places where your family will meet, both within and outside of your immediate neighborhood. Use theFamily Emergency Plan to decide these locations before a disaster.
- If you have a car, keep a full tank of gas in it if an evacuation seems likely. Keep a half tank of gas in it at all times in case of an unexpected need to evacuate. Gas stations may be closed during emergencies and unable to pump gas during power outages. Plan to take one car per family to reduce congestion and delay.
- Become familiar with alternate routes and other means of transportation out of your area. Choose several destinations in different directions so you have options in an emergency.
- Leave early enough to avoid being trapped by severe weather.
- Follow recommended evacuation routes. Do not take shortcuts; they may be blocked.
- Be alert for road hazards such as washed-out roads or bridges and downed power lines. Do not drive into flooded areas.
- If you do not have a car, plan how you will leave if you have to. Make arrangements with family, friends or your local government.
- Take your emergency supply kit unless you have reason to believe it has been contaminated.
- Listen to a battery-powered radio and follow local evacuation instructions.
- Take your pets with you, but understand that only service animals may be permitted in public shelters. Plan how you will care for your pets in an emergency.
This is where you can come to find the latest information on Amateur Radio (also known as "Ham Radio") related activities and events in El Paso, Texas and the surrounding area.
All Ham Radio clubs and organizations in the area are welcome (and encouraged) to provide information to this site and keep it up to date.
New information is continually being added, so check back regularly.
And don't forget to support your local clubs!
El Paso Ham Radio phone line – (915) 239-5128
Please e-mail any comments, changes, corrections, additions, or updates to email@example.com
You can also phone in questions, changes, corrections, additions, or updates to (915) 247-8426 (this is Google voice-mail only). Please leave a call back number so we can get back to you.